Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

Bay Area Urgent Care, Walnut Creek

Updated 5/12/14:

The doctor I saw in this office never physically touched me during my exam for a sore should and leg after I tripped and fell. The staff repeatedly asked "oh, it happened at work??!".  The doctor was more concerned about verifying this than asking where I was sore. I was UNINJURED.  I have a certification in medical billing/transcription and insurance coding.  I immediately recognized that this office was simply seeking to make it a worker's comp claim.  My prediction was confirmed when I received paper work from my insurance this weekend saying a third party will need to be contacted (the property where I accidentally fell) to process payment for the claim. They want to bill my office building?!

FUCK YOU Bay Area Urgent Care.

Not only should the incompetent doctor I saw never be allowed to "treat" another patient, your office should be ashamed that you were more concerned about it being a "worker's comp" claim than the welfare of your patient.  I was given an x-ray referral when all I needed was a couple days worth of Aleve. The doctor also told me to stop taking the stairs because the universe has lined against me and I'll likely fall down them.

WHAT. THE. .....?!!!

You are the reason people have no faith in health care and insurance!

Previous post 4/11/14:

I don't like being the First to Review unless I have something nice to say, so I'm glad someone else went first. I was so disappointed to see the new office. I loved the Urgent Care when they were at their last, spacious office. This sad new location was dirty, small, dark, and dingy.  The front office staff seemed disorganized and ended up billing my insurance incorrectly. One girl was obviously in training because she kept coming back to ask me more questions as I waited for the doctor.  ("oh yeah, and...did this happen?" "oh, were you at work?")

I was seen by a doctor who I very much disliked. I did not think I received quality treatment but was instead referred to radiology for x-rays. Which I did not need. I told him I'd fallen and was sore. He never once put a hand on me to touch the areas I had injured. I knew it wasn't a bad injury and just wanted something for the pain. He told me three prescriptions he'd give, but left prednisone off the final prescription that I took to Target. Whatever. I was feeling better in a couple days anyhow.  I'm young and in good shape. I really didn't like the guy or the way he wanted to treat my "on-the-job" injury.

I've always liked Bay Area Urgent Care (see below for my review of their previous location) and whenever I've needed fast, helpful, trustworthy service, I've called them.  I have great insurance from my employer and now my husband's also.  I expect quality medical treatment.

I would not return here, even if I needed help and there was nowhere else to go.  Although, I believe it was Dr. Chew who moved over from the other location, and he's a great guy. He deserves a big, nice office with an educated staff surrounding him. I hope they get their act together as they settle into the new place. I shouldn't have to waste my time calling insurance companies and billing departments when they make an error.

FORMER LOCATION reviewed 3/22/13

SAME-DAY APPOINTMENT, AND THE OFFICE WAS RUNNING ON SCHEDULE

I've been a patient at another practice in Walnut Creek for many years. I like the small office feel when I go in and Dr. Wise does a great job, but there are times it's very frustrating to be a patient there. It can take a few days to get an appointment, even if I feel it's a somewhat serious issue.

I ignored a sore throat for three days this week before calling my Doctor, who happened to be out sick. I couldn't wait another day so I called Urgent Care. I've been seen here many times in the past from cuts to pains to preventative physicals and annual exams. The receptionist scheduled me for an afternoon appointment at my request.

Two things happened after that which I feel are extremely important to me when choosing a primary care physician:

1) TIMELINESS! I was on time. They were on time. I did not have a long wait in the waiting room, no more than two or three minutes. I felt like they respected the fact my time is also valuable, and that I wasn't feeling well.

2) COMMUNICATION! The Dr. came in and immediately asked about what I had been seen for at my last visit (pain in my ribs a year ago). He had obviously reviewed my file and restated that we didn't have xrays done, but asked how long it took for the pain to go away and how I was doing now. I loved that he brought this up. Then the assistant told him my throat swab was positive for strep. He wrote the prescription, suggested I fill it at the pharmacy in the building, then sat and talked with me. I had a couple general questions about the office and he asked if I had blood work done in the last five years. (I have.) He continued to talk to me about insurance and my health and even told me a story about dealing with insurance companies.

He did not have to spend the extra time with me. Whether or not he had people waiting, we were done. It was very nice that he did though - I asked if they're taking new patients. They are. After several positive experiences here, I would like to be one. (Walk-ins are always welcome too)

No comments:

Post a Comment