Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

La Sen Bistro, Todos Santos Plaza, Concord, CA

12/13/13
My husband is a French citizen and we enjoy French food very much. He purchased a deal for this place (pay $25 and get $50 of food) and we'd been meaning to come for a while. His experience was more of a 4-star, but mine was NOT. The place was empty except for two people. We were asked if we had a reservation and I laughed and asked if we needed one. The server said he was just curious. We did get a cool seat in the back in a little private enclave-ish area. That was nice.

Fresh baked bread came with the menus. The dipping sauce for it has sugar added and even though our server said it's not much, I thought it was terribly sweet. Luckily the bread was good alone. Crispy crust, soft center. Yum.

I started with a Caesar and husband started with French onion soup. The only two things worth eating in my opinion. I usually hate onion soup but this one had lots of cheese and my husband shared that with me. My salad was fine. I'd finished one glass of water on the table at this point and took my husband's because he'd ordered a can of Coke.

Our entrees arrived. He had a rare rib-eye ($23) and I had crab cakes ($18). I've only ordered crab cakes at Flemings and there was no comparison. These seemed over fried yet had no flavor. No salt or pepper on the table. My 2 small cakes and 5 green beans were almost gone by the time the server checked back (which he didn't really, I beckoned him over) and a requested slice of lemon added a little bit of zest to my last couple of bites. So disappointed.


Husband's steak was cook perfect, very well seasoned, and riddled with fat. It was marbled all the way through it and he had a large pile at the side when he was done. While the steak was very tender and good, I kept picking up the pieces of fat to investigate because I couldn't believe they were ALL fat. Yep. Great quality meat but I'm not sure I'd ever let a piece that fatty leave my kitchen.

Finally the two empty waters were filled. Which was good because it was an eternity before we were offered the dessert menu. No thanks, just the check. The place was busier now and this took a long time also. The total was $61.04 before the $50 coupon was applied. Not worth that kind of money. Especially when you throw in slow, robot-like service. The server was very professional but slightly soft-spoken and with little personality. Formality can still be achieved while smiling, being engaging and providing excitement to an otherwise quiet setting. He's lucky my husband was doing the tipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment