Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

Barrel Aged Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge, Martinez

8/7/13



We're been in here a couple of times now. I enjoyed service more the first time but the experience was better overall on the second visit. We played trivia after dinner both times we were in.

The owner is really friendly. He seems like an ultra nice and sincere guy. We met friends for dinner on our second trip in and he accomodated their vegan diet with special meals. I had a bite of the stuffed eggplant he prepared for them and it was awesome. I loved the crunchy grain on top and the filling had so much flavor. I had a veggie salad with green tomatoes that I didn't like all that much. It was a lot of food but I found myself eating it pretty slowly.

The foods I do love in here start with the chickpea appetizer. ($3) So cool! I've never had (or even seen) chickpeas served this way and the seasoning is great. Very fun appetizer for the table. The table also gets corn bread and butter which is very good. I don't eat much of it though because I want to leave room for the fries! ($6) Loved the garlic fries. I think the cajun fries have the same or a similar seasoning to the chickpeas so I'll stick with an order of garlic fries and chick peas both!

To wash it down I've enjoyed a sour beer called Monks Cafe (the only one they carry, I think) . ($11). Also had a pear cider ($6) and a Lefee draft for husband $(8).

Service has been friendly - really liked Brittney as our server but we've had attentive service both times. Plus, I've felt comfortable stopping other staff to talk or ask a question. Last dinner, the bartender brought animal cookies with the beer our friend John ordered (a dark beer). He said it was a personal recommendation that they go together! How rad. Good service and fun trivia nights will keep us coming back.

Trivia rounds are fast and its a scouts-honor kind of policy (you keep track of your own points). Prizes are won and it's a good time for all. Seriously, everyone in the place gets involved and its a really fun date night. Or double-date night, like we enjoyed! (Thanks to John B. and Rachel C. for being our fun double! And letting us keep the prize wine!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment