Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blu 42 Sports Lounge, Walnut Creek

9/9/13


Are you ready for some football?! NFL Kickoff Weekend is here! After watching the Raider game at home yesterday, we decided to go out and watch the 49ers with the crowds. We stopped at Masse's and it was packed! Even the pool tables were covered for s/eating, all the way to the front door. We should have just stayed here but decided to go somewhere else instead of searching for a seat.

Blu 42 Sports Lounge didn't have the same problem. In fact, after being carded at the front door we found a seat no problem at a table in front of the big screen. Ten minutes later our server finally acknowledged us after walking by (slowly) several times, and we finally ordered two Bloody Marys. She asked for ID and a credit card at this point. Do they have a problem with people not paying their tabs or something? I asked about the taco station in the corner and she said I had to buy a token at the bar. She had no idea what it cost. Ok, nevermind. It's your job to tell me what youre selling, not mine to go figure it out for myself.

Five minutes later someone else dropped off our drinks. A menu would have been nice at this point. When I finished my drink and my husband was just about done with his, we weren't offered another one so we just asked for our check and went to CJ's Saloon, where we had a rowdy good time.

The food wasn't bad when we ate on a previous visit, so I'd come back for lunch perhaps, but unless we're looking for somewhere quiet to watch football, this probably won't be our first choice.

UPDATE FROM 7/13/13 REVIEW:

Today's lunch at Blu 42 was the first time I'd been in since they reopened under this name in March. I have a tendency to over-order when I'm hungry. Sometimes this works out, and sometimes I get to take some to-go. Today's lunch included 3 tacos (2 chicken, 1 carne asada, $5), a super nacho with beans and jalapenos, cheese, guac and sour cream ($6), and a Caesar salad ($5), with a 24 oz happy hour Bud Light ($5). Husband had two Middleweight breakfast sandwiches with bacon, one on a croissant ($4) and one on an English muffin ($4) with a Coke ($2).  - $32.40 total

Husband liked the croissant breakfast sandwich a lot but thought the one on the English muffin tasted like mustard (which I LOVE but he isn't a fan of). We shared the Super Nachos and it was the only thing that wasn't very close to finished. It was a large plate. REally good. I ran out of jalapenos (one per bite is my style!) but the beans and cheese were good and the chips stayed pretty crispy even to the end.

My Caesar salad was great. Not overdressed. There were a lot of croutons. I usually ask for extra but didn't have to here, and actually didn't even finish them. The 3 tacos were pretty much just meat and tortilla. I can't remember if there was pico de gallo but definitely not as much as I would have expected. They came with shredded cheese on the side, and a small side of sour cream and salad. They were okay. I wouldn't think of this place first when craving a taco, but I will keep it in mind when looking for somewhere to grab a quick breakfast or lunch.

The bartender was friendly. We had lots of questions and she answered most of them. She also told me that she delivers food in the morning to local businesses. No minimum purchase. I'm down for some delivery and I work really close! We saw the owners on the other side of the bar and were really surprised they didn't come say hi or really acknowledge us in any way. There was one other person dining when we walked in, but we were the only two in there after a little while. And the place is huge! If I owned an establishment I would make it a priority to welcome customers and introduce myself. At least take the opportunity to ask how everything was and get some feedback and invite the customer to return or tell them about a live band coming up. Something to make them want to come back and remember you by.

There is still a pool table inside but they were out of quarters so we didn't get to play. We walked around though and at the back there is a "Dug Out" room with a private setting sort of feel to it. It has some couches and a TV. Lots of TVs around the whole place. Plus a projectiion-style screen with theater-style seating. We weren't sure what this was for. The seating everywhere looked pretty comfy. We'll be back for their deals during baseball games: $5 for hot dog and beer. Hot dog for husband. Beer for me.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing blog.
    Here is very interesting information that is very useful for us. Thanks for sharing
    Private Event Space Walnut Creek

    ReplyDelete