Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Aunt Mary's Cafe, Oakland

5/17/14



I came home from work yesterday and my husband had the Food Network on.  I never turn on this channel because I have a hard time turning it off. We then proceeded to watch a couple hours of Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives reruns.  Aunt Mary's Café was featured in an episode that I believe aired in 2011.  As we drooled over their menu items, we agreed to stop by and check the place out over the weekend.  So this afternoon we stopped by the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, and ordered two of the items we saw last night on TV: biscuits and gravy for Casey and the Bubble and Squeak meal for me.

Casey's biscuits and gravy were good. I had a couple bites.  He added a pork sausage option, and we saw a plate of sausage walk by but the sausage that was added to his meal was crumbled up, into the gravy, so he didn't actually get a sausage patty like he expected.

My plate had two patties of potato and southern greens.  They were topped with eggs (cooked to taste), and gravy, with greens on the side, and a biscuit with butter.  I ordered my eggs over medium but they arrived with cooked yolks.  The waitress who took our order didn't come back for a long time so I ate them as they were.  If she had checked on us, I prob would have asked that they recook them.  It wasn't very busy.  In fact, it was about 2:00 and we heard another waitress tell a table how unusual it was for them to be this empty.  We also heard that same waitress talk to two different tables about menu items, the history of the restaurant, desserts, her schooling career, and more!  She was so friendly, which really made the sub par service at our table stand out.  I complimented the smiley one on our way out.  What a positive, fun personality - which oozed onto customers dining in the place.  All of her tables seemed really happy to hear about the place; I know I was!


We'll definitely return.  The biscuit on my plate was outstanding.  I loved the greens. And I intend to try the Tobasco gravy next time! And my husband is going to get their French toast. It's made with a baguette!! I also love that tofu or other vegan items can be subbed for the meat products, the eggs are cage free, the produce is local, and so on.  It all tasted fresh and had good flavor.  The front porch seating was covered and Oakland's beautiful weather was enjoyed by us both as we sat outside to eat. Just wish we'd had a little better first experience

No comments:

Post a Comment