Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

WaterWorld California, Concord

7/31/13
Our friends!

WaterWorld is a pretty cool place with several rides and swimming areas. I imagine their water temperature is no colder and their lines are no longer than any other water park. Parking is $10. Discounted tickets for the park can be purchased at Costco and a season pass pays for itself in 2 visits.  No food or drinks allowed in but there are in & out privileges so just stick a cooler in your car. Or buy the park food; it's average price but above-average quality. The nachos were outstanding. Lockers and tubes are available for rent. Bring your own towel. Don't bring shoes you like, in case they get lost or stolen - you can't wear them on ANY ride (including water shoes) so expect to be barefoot all day. AVOID the cabana rentals. NOT worth the money. Bring lots of sunscreen as shade can be limited. Even the umbrellas around the park don't help at a certain time of day. Be patient. Lines move slowly sometimes for safety reason (to allow water levels to refill enough to slow you down at the end of a ride, etc.) If you like waterslides, you'll have a great time here. Have more questions? You could try calling the park and asking an employee, but it's possible your dog might have a better clue of the answer. Youre best off asking someone whose been there.

Now for my story:
for large group private parties

At the beginning of summer back in 1996 or so, I broke my collarbone on an improperly functioning slide at this WaterWorld.  Three terrible things happened as a result. First: I was supposed to leave in a few days for a bus ride to San Vicente, Mexico. I wasn't allowed to go and the new classroom at the orphanage was built without me. Second:  We drove to Portland that summer for my dad's car racing. Towing the trailer made it a bumpy ride and I was in too much pain to have fun swimming at the hotel's pool. (But I did meet a friend sitting poolside and we became pen pals and he and I are still friends). Third: Of the three, the most terrible thing that happened was I developed a horrible fear of water slides. I didn't go on another one for almost 20 years.

Big Kahuna Slide


My husband loves roller coasters and water slides, and since he was going to run a 5k with me on the Sunday of our 1st anniversary weekend, I figured I'd set it up to go to Water World on that Saturday. I would face my fears! I tried to book a cabana online but they were sold out. I called to confirm this a couple days ahead of our trip and even asked specifically about day-of rentals. I was told there are none, but this is a lie. There are several spots that you can rent in-person and aren't available online. They are about $40 cheaper and I think they were just as nice or nicer than the other ones. The benefit of the cabanas is youre in a private area, and an employee will take your food order for you. While it was nice being able to leave our stuff sitting out, we could have just as easily rented a locker for the day. (You do get a locker with cabana but there's really no point in using one).  You also get tube rentals included so you avoid that line.  Our biggest complaint though was that we would order food and beers and it took 30-40 minutes to arrive each time. PLUS, the menu they provide for you is very limited. We had no idea there were so many other options (which you are allowed to order) but they aren't listed on the menu.  The food lines weren't that long. We could have gotten our own food faster. And our food arrived cold. It was still pretty good - we were all surprised. Husband liked his burger and my nachos were huge. Not vegetarian though, if that's what youre looking for.

cabana area


We would never rent a cabana again. In fact, our group of four was pretty upset about having paid $100 for this. We arrived so early in the day we could have had great seating anywhere.  We brought our cabana complaint to customer relations and asked for a refund. We were comp'ed tickets for a return visit instead. Good enough.
$8


$9 cheeseburger


$8.79 super nacho


Lines grew longer in the afternoon but this didn't affect me. I was too scared to go on the rides. I did two of them and then couldn't do any more. I've never really been overcome with fear, especially unwarranted fear. I'm not one of those people afraid of things like this (usually). I've hopped in a boxing ring at a motorcycle club party in Oakland and I wasn't afraid. I walked out of that ring with a very bloody smile. But I was too scared to do these rides and the two I did weren't very fun. Luckily, my friends all survived the day unharmed. And I had fun watching my husband. I waited in lines with everyone and even shot a good video of them on one of the slides. http://youtu.be/4Ketc32HpdU So we'll go back with our free passes, order some delicious food, wash it down with something from the car coolers, and then I'll work on maintaining my tan in the Lazy River. Where it's safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment