Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

Grotto Fish Market, Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey

5/29/14

Clockwise from top: Washington, Canadian & Virginian oysters
My husband and I stopped in here to split a half dozen oysters.  We'd just arrived on the wharf after being at the race track watching Ferraris.  I felt a little spoiled and decided to enjoy some raw oysters. I intended to try the popular shellfish at a couple of different establishments, so we only ordered 6.

While I definitely enjoyed the three varieties of $1.50 oysters, I didn't understand why fresh, local oysters weren't one of the options. If you're a tourist from Washington, Virginia, or Canada, how disappointed are you going to be when your order of oysters arrives and you could get the same ones at home. A competitor on the same wharf also offered Pacific oysters (not a guarantee that those are local either), and I was really curious why these businesses aren't reaching out to companies like Tomales Bay, Drakes Bay, or Hog Island oysters.  Why are they supporting the local (-ish) businesses, and simultaneously allowing out-of-state visitors to sample something from CA?

Our server Dannika was very nice and brought our check back with a smile and sincere "thank you" once our plates and ice tray had been cleared.

No comments:

Post a Comment