Search This Blog

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Shoyu Ramen (packaged noodle soup ~ a guilty pleasure)

I admit it.  I have some horribly bad habits.
 
For example:

1) I don't like folding clothes after I wash laundry and I'm in the habit of just leaving clean piles on our guest bed. (Socks especially)
 
2) Potty mouth! From time to time I notice a significant increase in the bad words I let sneak into everyday conversations.  (But as soon as I notice, I do make a real effort to watch what comes out of my mouth.)
 
3) I, however, don't make as much of an effort to watch what goes in.  I love, love, LOVE me canned or packaged soups. I thought that the saltwater, oddly colored meat chunks, and noodle combination that is Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup was the highest of any sodium content I'd ever seen (2,225 mg/can), until I discovered Shoyu Ramen (2,360 mg/package).

Shoyu Ramen, Soy Sauce Flavor


I first found Shoyu Ramen at Diablo Oriental Foods in Walnut Creek.  I usually go into the store for spices, quail eggs, mushrooms, fresh shishito peppers, seaweed salad, or canned fish.  They also have sashimi grade fresh fish, and I'll buy it to eat raw or roll into homemade sushi. Sometimes I get dried seaweed or other crunchy snacks. A week ago I checked out their soups.  I saw the "non-fried" highlight on the packaging of Shoyu, the price was right, and they had lots of varieties, including miso, soy sauce, spicy, and others, so I bought one of each flavor! 


Most of the bag eaten raw
Cooked soup with spinach, peas & tomato
If you like noodle soups, but are stuck at your desk working, these packages are great! (Great tasting, not great for you). Hot water is all you need, though I enjoy adding frozen peas and/or spinach, and a fresh veggie, like tomatoes or carrots.  I add hot sauce to everything so if I don't have a fresh pepper to cut up, a couple shakes of hot sauce go in also! A squeeze of lime is also nice (inspired by the Pho noodle place next door).  The non-fried noodles of this brand aren't quite as hard as the Cup O'Noodle or Top Ramen brands so I like eating the raw noodles by themselves too (don't tell my dentist!)

I try to balance out all the bad habits with lots of good ones too.  I remember to smile often, look people in the eye, and give sincere compliments.  I feel like being kind to others is as good for the heart as consuming 98% of your daily sodium intake in one meal is bad.  So it all kind of balances out.  (Or so I tell myself).
 
I guess I can  add another bad habit to my list:

4) Lying to myself to justify eating gross food when I know my body deserves better

I can't help it. I LOVE salty soup.
Come to mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment